Sunday, March 4, 2012

Got Humor?



A sense of humor... is needed armor. Joy in one's heart and some laughter on one's lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life.
Hugh Sidey

Readmore:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/laughter.html#ixzz1oCJX62Oo

According to Help Guide.com laughter is good for several things:

Laughter is good for your health

  • Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
  • Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
  • Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
  • Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

So if this is true, then we should all be laughing much more! I try to keep this in mind when I'm teaching. In high school, or any school for that matter it should be deemed necessary for all teachers to possess this quality! The ability to not only laugh at funny things, or at jokes that students might say, but to also laugh at ones self. I'm glad to say that I laugh at myself all the time. Of course, I tend to be very clumsy, so that truly helps, I can't tell you how many times I've fallen and laughed ridiculously at myself! Silly of me to do so? Perhaps, but I don't mind, it keeps me sane, especially while teaching at school and when I have two little girls at home! So, keep laughing it helps!!! :)


Vocabulary

deemed: to think, believe or judge
possess: to own, or have
clumsy: describes someone or something that moves awkwardly
ridiculously: something that is silly or foolish
especially: particularly or to a greater degree


Vocabulary Exercise

  • Create a dialog with the vocabulary words above, it can be between you and someone else (be creative: Choose a famous person).
Example:

Me: I'm afraid I cannot accept your _(ridiculous)_ invitation.

Brad Pitt: Oh, that's a pity! I'm so sorry. I just thought I would let you know that you’re the most beautiful woman on the face of this earth and that Angelina means nothing to me!


Grammar Point

Future tense:

Simple Future has two different forms in English: "will" and "be going to." Although the two forms can sometimes be used interchangeably, they often express two very different meanings. These different meanings might seem too abstract at first, but with time and practice, the differences will become clear. Both "will" and "be going to" refer to a specific time in the future.

FORM Will

Examples:

[will + verb]

Example:
  • You will help him later.

FORM Be Going To

[am/is/are + going to + verb]

Example:

  • You are going to meet Jane tonight.
Now you try, fill in the blanks with the future tense of will/go.

1. A: I'm about to fall asleep. I need to wake up!
B: I (get) you a cup of coffee. That will wake you up.

2. A: I can't hear the television!
B: I (turn) it up so you can hear it.

3. We are so excited about our trip next month to France. We (visit) Paris, Nice and Grenoble.

4. Sarah (come) to the party. Oliver (be) there as well.

5. Ted: It is so hot in here!
Sarah: I (turn) the air-conditioning on.

For more examples or information log on to:

2 comments:

  1. Very good! I like the grammar exercise and the silly jokes. Humor is so important. For ESL students it can pose a problem because humor is different in different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is really cute and I like the style of this blog.

    ReplyDelete