Saturday, April 6, 2013



Never having seen before the video on the Lost Boys of the Sudan
I was moved tremendously. As a matter of fact I was even oblivious
to the tragedies that occurred.

The poor boys that lost everything in a blink of an eye, but managed

to stay together...united in the face of fear, heartache and suffering.
The atrocities that they endured should never be, least of all by children! 
They were so brave!

One of the most surprising things about their story is that they endured

five years of suffering. The second, is that where ever they went, they 
were unwelcome and chased out! No one helped those young boys! 
Third, is that the human spirit is so with-standing and strong. 
Despite all their hardships, they were able to continue on, 
because surely God was with them!

If they had been in my class, I would have made sure that they had a nice

and secure home with a loving family. I would have tried to gain their trust 
first by welcoming them to my classroom and helping them feel part of my class. 
I would have made them feel valued and cared. I would have tried to initiate a
support system for them within the school with a guidance counselor and
social worker to help aid them emotionally and mentally. But most of all I would 
have started very slow with them to try to get them adjusted first with being
surrounded by four walls and a roof over their head...

Basically, I would have done what I would hope many teachers did for them 

upon coming to the United States, a listening ear, a facilitator of ideas 
and a caring heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment